"Vincent Massol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/11/2003 11:26:14 PM:

> Hi dIon,
[snip]
> This is not my intent. It's simply from my lack of understanding. We'll
> fix that and come to an agreement I'm sure. I just need to understand a
> bit more. Please be patient with me :-)
Sure, I've got lots of time. I'm about to go away for a few days :-)

> > Multiproject is supposed to be a collection point for all multiproject
> > activity.
>
> Ok, I'm beginning to understand and I can easily change the
> multichanges/dashboard project to use multiproject. However I'm still
> unsure what it buys me.

As a plugin writer, not a great deal, except less hand coding of reactor
tags, which is not too difficult anyway. But we should work together on it
to make multiple reactor runs a simple and easy process with very little
jelly coding.

[snip]
> Yes, this is a possibility. I'm not sure what it buys me over using
> directly the reactor. I'll repeat what I said in another email. There

Consistency. For the end user: one set of properties to describe the set
of projects to be iterated over.

> are 2 features I believe we need to support multiple projects:
>
> 1/ ability to run the same goal over several projects
> 2/ ability to aggregate reports

3/ The ability to save the reactored projects and re-run a goal across
them without reloading via another reactor.

> For 1/, yes, there is already the multiproject plugin and the reactor.
> Are we saying we want to deprecate the reactor and promote using the
> multiproject plugin. Isn't that a bit too "heavy". Unless the
> multiproject offers additional features of course (I have to admit I
> haven't looked too far in its plugin.jelly).
I definitely recommend for people to use multiproject. It means they don't
have to edit maven.xml and write reactor tags over and over again.

> For 2/, we still need a solution and this where I'm proposing the
> multireport plugin (see other mail).
As the report taglib is part of the 'site' plugin, multireport:register
etc should be part of multiproject IMO.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting