Hello developers,

are there any recommendations how to debug Maven best? Currently I checked out maven,
maven-plugins/genapp and jakarta-commons/jelly because I try to look into some strange
behaviour of the genapp plugin. For maven and jelly I generated with an already
installed Maven my Eclipse project files. In Eclipse I made maven dependent on Jelly.

The two projects were now build with the dependend jars from the local repository.
Configuring the start parameters for Maven in the debugger was somewhat delicate too,
but I managed it by pointing the Maven properties to the home of my installed Maven.
Lastly I could start Maven with the compiled sources of maven core and jelly and used
all the other jars from the local repository.

Unfortunately I had to face a lot of exceptions debugging the app. First of all I had
to recognize that the generated Eclipse project does not handle the resources at all
and the debugged Maven could not find his configuration files. Currently I have to
copy them after each compilation manually into the target/classes. Next problem in
this configuration are the different versions of the same jars used by maven and jelly
causing a lot of Exceptions loading classes. I got rid of them after adjusting the two
projects to use always the latest version of the same jar in both projects.

Since there are a lot more dependent jars and plugins that may be interesting for
debugging I just ask myself how you all have set up your developing environment? Are
you using the libraries in the local repository at all?

Regards,
Jörg