Jason van Zyl wrote:

> plugin:deploy sounds like it should deploy to the remote repo. Is there
> no plugin:install for just doing things locally?

General contract was that <type>:install would deploy the artifact into
the local repository. plugin:install does that, plus it installs the
plugin into MAVEN_HOME/plugins. This may be confusing by intself.

I hope that

plugin:install
plugin:install-snapshot
plugin:deploy
plugin:deploy-snapshot

will act consistently with the other aftifact handling plugins in the
future.

As for deploying the plugin into MAVEN_HOME/plugins, I feel it should be
handled speparately - but what about the name?

enable
activate
setup (suggested by Vincent)
insert (think kernel modules)