(Sorry about the poor form of following up to one's own message...)

Apparently the CVS HEAD of xmlpull.org's parser has the correct version needed by the current Maven; building and installing it to $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext fixes quite a few of the problems with Maven's CVS HEAD ... until this one:

symbol : constructor PluginScriptParser (org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginCacheManager,java.lang.String)
location: class org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginScriptParser
PluginScriptParser pluginScriptParser = new PluginScriptParser( this, pluginName );

I think someone must be doing a "work in progress" ... I'll try again tomorrow.

Take care.

--
Sean Kelly
Independent Consultant