I like the idea of the blue bgcolor for non-focused tabs, but I'd also say
to use a lighter gray for the fg of those tabs (increases contrast and
readability). As for the pipes, it's a simple solution and seems very
effective on other sites.

One thing, though: I think the part that needs the most attention is that
tertiary nav (Overview, Statistics, etc.). It's not really contained by
anything visually (other than a rule < hr/ > ?), and would probably benefit
greatly from the piping, etc. or maybe some type of different font or
font-style, font-weight, etc.  I dunno exactly what I'm trying to do here
visually, only that it needs to stand out a little more.

I played around a little in EditCSS, and thought this, combined with the
piping, might work:

div.bar ul.subnav2 {
        z-index: 101;
        background-color:#eee;
        position:relative;
        margin: 0px;
        margin-top: 0px;
        padding: 0px 0px 1px 50px;
        /*padding: 1px 0px 3px 30px;*/
        /*border-top:1px solid #fff;*/
        border-bottom:1px solid #999;
        height: 15px;
        clear:both;
}

Please keep in mind that I'm infinitely better at critiquing other work than
producing my own when it comes to web interfacing. :)

Cheers,
John