On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 11:37, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My only beef with the current style is what happens when you have tons of
> sub-projects, as in the case of Jakarta Commons. When you start stacking
> many different scopes of detail on top of one another down the left sidebar,
> it becomes hard to differentiate between scope divisions. I know, the
> headers should be a clue, but it does get a bit overwhelming... Maven's
> plugins reference would have a similar problem, if it were constructed in
> this way.

Dealing with umbrella sites is definitely something that people want
some advice on how to do best. An umbrella page is really an aggregation
of all information contained within all the subprojects. So in this case
maybe we need a different kind of page. Possibly having a page with a
reference to all the projects contained within instead of trying to
stuff them all in the navigation.

The umbrella page can contain all the things like project goals,
licenses, pointers to mailing lists and the like but maybe we need a
standard format for an umbrella project? I agree that the navigation for
the commons is a little unweildly and will become moreso as the number
of components grows.

Come up with a clean page with a nicely formatted table of all the
projects contained within, possibly with a short summary (taken from the
short description) and a pointer to the subproject page.

> Another problem with the volume of information is that it tends to lead
> off-screen, where scrolling to read destroys the coherence of the sidebar
> information.

Definitely, this is where I think a page containing a list of the
subprojects would be good. Having to scroll does indeed make wandering
through a site annoying.

> Personally, I'd much rather have a dashboard at the top (where
> applications, not just _web_ applications traditionally have a menubar)
> where I can see the operations near at hand, like details of this project.
> This may seem like replication of the top part of the sidebar, but it pops
> out to the eye quite a bit more readily than a subsection of this gigantic
> list on the left (all of the same font size, etc.).

For an application I too like the dashboard. For a maven generated site
I have always been of the mind that the front page first paragraph of of
the first section should tell you "What is this beast?". I'm sure it's a
matter of habit for me now, but I read that first paragraph and then I
wander left to the navigation and in the first navigation section is
where the hot items should go like javadoc, downloads, cvs repos.

Looking at the first page of the commons-math site, I am immediately
presented with a list of things: there is no summary of what the project
is or does which. Instead of having a link to "About Math" it should
tell you right there on the first page and the user guide be a hot item
in the first set of navigations.

Additionally, Maven's users guide suffers the same problem where
scrolling of the table of contents is necessary. Though commons-math is
much better in that you link to each section so you can click around
without scrolling much.

There are certainly some guidelines for good sites like Jacob Nielsen's
books but to a large extent I think there is an element of conditioning
and if we come up with a reasonably sensible, standard format then
everyone benefits. I agree with you 100% that navigation without
scrolling should be a goal to strive for and we can help with that by
providing tools to make easily navigable user guides, FAQs and templates
for aggregated sites.

> Final note: The content area is what you define it to be. If you frame a
> page properly, it will be obvious what is and is not the content area.
> Top/Left are premium real estate because they naturally frame any page
> content, so maybe shrinking the _huge_ logo at the top and/or allowing the
> embedding of some navigation in that top 10% of the page (I'm guessing)
> would help free up some space for the actual content. Another would be to
> take a page from the Safari website, and allow the user to "hide" the
> sidebar, in order to read the content.

All good ideas, and these are the things I would like to incorporate
into the xdoc plugin.

> I know that the Commons website isn't probably organized in the best
> possible way wrt what is/isn't on the sidebar, but I definitely think the
> site rendering should provide some not-so-subtle visual clues about what is
> nearby, or important. Prepending these links to the top of a long list
> without even changing the text formatting in my opinion doesn't handle this
> very well.

Point taken, coherent navigation is not a simple task. Maybe the first
set of navigations could be visually slightly different in some way?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://maven.apache.org