I realize folks are busy, I'll just run with this given I think we all agree
immutable classpaths are better and fiddly magic in the core is bad. I'm going
to remove the capability to dynamically fiddle with the project classpath and
the IT for MNG-4363 will be omitted from the run for Maven 4.0.0.

On Apr 6, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started making of list of things I'd like to remove in Maven 4.0.0, but I
> would like to start getting some agreement on what we can yank and this is
> the first concrete request. I would like to remove the ability for plugins to
> magically inject dependencies. Plugins can either declare their dependencies
> or instruct users to add dependencies to the plugins in their POMs. This
> weird logic for plugins to add dependencies dynamically is the cause of some
> extremely convoluted logic in the resolution code and I want to remove it.
>
> The original issue is here: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4363
>
> I encountered this when trying to hoist all the resolution logic into once
> place so that from our Aether provider resolution as it is done in the core
> can be done everywhere. Right now we have plugins like the assembly plugin,
> WAR plugin, dependency plugin that all do their own weird, inconsistent thing
> and when I tried to put it all in one place so that it can be analyzed,
> optimized and then executed this issue cropped up. We never should have
> allowed this in the first place but carried it over from 2.x for
> compatibilities sake. This might affect the code coverage tools but we can
> find a cleaner way. This logic is totally bizarro and needs to go.
>
> If everyone agrees we can start systematically documenting what has been
> removed, as we have lost track of this accurately in the past. I'd like to
> make a 4.x branch in 4 weeks or so and this will be one of the first things
> I'd like to cut. It will be one of those radical simplifications that will
> start allowing people to get a better understanding of the core as I can put
> the resolution logic in one place as it is currently in many.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>
> We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.
>
> -- Unknown

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl