Von: "Jason van Zyl" <ja...@takari.io>
Gesendet: ‎27.‎08.‎2014 14:11
An: "Maven Developers List" <dev@maven.apache.org>
Betreff: [Proposal] New Mirror for Maven Central

Hi,

As part of our discussions with Sonatype I would like to propose a new location
for our agreed upon 3rd party mirror for Maven Central.

About a year ago a friend of mine, Matt Stephenson, who was at Google (he now
works at Square), asked if there was a way to get a copy of Maven Central for
Google to do some analysis and prototyping. I always have an up-to-date copy of
Maven Central and what they wanted to do sounded interesting and generally
useful so I said sure and that I would drop off a drive for Matt at the SF
office. Instead they suggested that I use the new Cloud infrastructure and
setup the mirroring on one of their machines and so we did that. Over the last
year I've worked with Matt and met more people at Google and ultimately they
offered to pay for any of the machines and bandwidth required to house the
mirror of Maven Central. Why would Google pay for this? They have made some
developer tools based on the data, they have done their own security analysis
for the protection of their own systems that use Java, and they want to
leverage a near-copy of Maven Central for systems like Google App Engine. The
cost of storage is nominal (40 dollars a month for 2TB) and if the cost of the
whole system is less than one FTE (150-200k/year) it's not even going to
register.

I think Google is generally to be thought of as a good OSS partner and they
have supported many programs and efforts for many years. I asked them a few
months ago if they would support the Maven PMC in having a long-term location
for a mirror of Maven Central for our purposes and they liked the idea. It's
mutually beneficial.

So I would like to propose that we use this infrastructure for the place for
our agreed upon 3rd party mirror location. A few weeks ago I showed this to
Hervé to see what he thought and if it was even a good idea to propose and we
both agreed it would be. I relinquished my admin access to Hervé in the console
so, as the Maven PMC Chair,  he can provide access to anyone who wants to check
it out. I believe it would be a great place to do validation and an easy way
for us to provide anyone with copies of Maven Central who wish it.

I think it would be a relatively simple change where we can give Sonatype a
key, and then the push moves content to this new infrastructure.

Matt also setup an experiment to push the content of Maven Central to Google's
CDN which has an HTTPS/S3 interface which you can see here[1]. So the
equivalent access to Ibiblio can be provided by Google. From here we can also
manage a push to Ibiblio to maintain consistency.

I encourage folks to get access and take a look around, but I think it's a nice
offer from Google.

[1]: https://central-repo.storage.googleapis.com

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.