Hello,

i can see advantage and disadvantage to having it in the settings file.
In my case I have multiple settings files for different repo and
security settings but only one toolchain describes the host
installed software.

One option would be to allow includes in the settings.xml, then you can
point to a shared toolchain.xml file but still get the whole resolving
hierachy of settings.xml.

(And you can use it to share or seperate other things. It is only a
question on how to merge the DOMs).

Gruss
Bernd