Out of curiosity, why do you want to get exactly the same bytecode? Does
the code compiled with java8 not work under java7?

Igor

On 2014-11-27, 15:39, Mark Struberg wrote:
Hi!

Today I had a discussion with Robert about how we can solve a problem I had
over at Apache OpenWebBeans:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OWB-952

As a short summary: the classes provided in rt.jar of Java8 are slightly
different than the ones from Java7 and 6. Similar big differences have been
seen in the Java4 to 5 transition.
Thus if you compile your project with Java8 you might get different bytecode
than when compiling with Java7 JDK. Even if you use target=1.7 in both cases.

There are 2 options: either use javac -bootclasspath and point it to the
'correct' rt.jar + other jdk libs, or just switch the whole environment.

Roberts suggestion was to use the Maven Toolchain
system:http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-toolchains-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-toolchains-plugin/toolchains/jdk.html

We also elaborated about improving the Toolchain lookup in our
maven-compiler-plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/xref/org/apache/maven/plugin/compiler/AbstractCompilerMojo.html#427

This could get improved to first check if a toolchain is registered for the
<target> version used in the m-compiler-p. And if there is no toolchain
configured especially for this version then we fallback to the one if we don't
specify a version.
The effective lookup path would then be
1.) toolchain configured via maven-toolchain-plugin
2.) toolchain with specified target version
3.) default toolchain

I think we would need to slightly enhance the ToolchainManager, but first would
like to get some feedback.

LieGrue,
strub