+1, would also make testing with JDK9 easier, although I've already found a good solution for that.

Robert

Op Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:20:06 +0100 schreef Kristian Rosenvold <krosenv...@apache.org>:

Oops. Snappy contains 1.6 java bytecode, which breaks the build on maven plugins. We need to upgrade to 1.6; I'm taking this to the mailing list :)

Last time discussed this we established a consensus to establish 3.0.5
(maybe 3.0.6) as a minimum baseline for the 3.x range of plugins.

This 3.0.X has a 1.5 java requirement.  The problem is that *everyone*
is moving to 1.6 and it's getting increasingly hard to maintain a 1.5
code base. As an example, I have been moving code to apache commons,
but we're basically unable to use this effort because commons is now
1.6. alternately I need to backport the code in a
"source-level-shading", but these things are getting silly.

I propose the following:

Make the 3.x line of plugins java 1.6+ only.
Release all shared utilities in 1.6 versions in the 3.x version range.
3.0.X maven versions stay "forever" on the 2.x line of plugins and jdk 1.5.
The most recent core version moves defaults to the 3.x range of plugins.
The parent poms migrate to 3.x range some time in the near future.

Keeping 3.0.x fixes to a minuimum (and "critical" stuff) only, will
ensure that we can still stay 1.5 compatible here.

Kristian

I don't have access to push a plexus-archiver release, could you
please do the honors.

Also, looks like my splitting job left some work behind in terms of
the parent pom.