In my experience, there are significant API issues between 3.0 and
3.1. My particular obsession is with the plugin testing harness.

I've had several experiences of the following forn:

1: go to fix a problem in a plugin.
2: try to create an appropriately focussed test
3: try to set up the testing harness
4: get told that all no one understands the version of the testing
harness that corresponds to the version of Maven targetted by the
plugin, and, in fact, that maintained branch only works with 3.1+.

I'd be very happy to read that I've misunderstood and that a floor of
'3.0' is enough to get to a working, documented, set of testing tools.