IMO, M2_HOME is no longer a required env starting 2.2.1, and there for it
is used mainly for the exact use case that Manfred mentioned. I myself use
a set a wrapper scripts ( mvn221, mvn311, etc)  since it is much easier to
remember.

I also got bitten a number of times where user had M2_HOME set, and install
new version of Maven without reset M2_HOME, and fail mysteriously (support
call)

here is the link to Benson's issue, it is not conclusive

http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/VOTE-Release-Apache-Maven-Release-Plugin-version-2-5-1-td5805498.html

-Dan