Hello all again,

This is exactly my experience with large reactors; while semver would be
the desired way to go it is impractical bordering on impossible to combine
semver for a large number of projects. (In fact, it boils down to manually
correctly managing all versions within a release.properties file, which is
practially impossible for a large reactor).

Thus, the only realistic option (due to the way that the release plugin
currently
works) is to release all the subprojects within the reactor as a whole.
This is
basically saying that we sacrifice semver to acquire smoother releases. We
also sacrifice upgradeability for bugfixes in implementation projects to
acquire
a workable release.

Conclusion: As the number of projects in a reactor grows, the maven tools
(in particular the maven-release-plugin in its current state) are unsuitabe
for combining an efficient release process and semver.