Not that I'm aware of, but I can think of several steps:
- compile/runtime should not depend on maven-compat (the plugin-testing-harness still requires it, so test-scope is still required, though)
- consider testing with a Maven distribution without maven-compat
- use the major release to do housekeeping: remove deprecated parameters, use direct M3 method calls instead of by reflection.

I'm working on artifact/dependency related issues for the install, invoker and deploy plugins. I've created branches for these to give me enough time to fix this correctly.

thanks,
Robert