So I went ahead and implemented these changes, including working (but
not terribly well tested) logback appenders to buffer-and-group project
console log messages and create per-project build.log files.

Does anyone see a problem if I check in these appenders in maven core
source tree or you prefer me to keep them elsewhere?

Just to be clear, I do not propose to "hardware" maven to logback and I
do not propose to include logback support in maven distribution. I want
to introduce new maven-ext-logback module, which users will be able to
use to customize their maven distributions very much the same way they
need to do it now to use any of the advanced logging frameworks.

Igor