No, the maven-plugins repo is a slightly different beast when compared to
mojo. And since we're splitting anyway, we're talking about 30-40 different
repos, so there is really no point in your suggested route (the git clones
already exist although I am unsure if they can be used).

So I think it's a good idea for everything but maven-shared and
maven-plugins. The plan you have outlined does not make sense for these. We
need that script that creates plausible split repos first.

To be verify specific, there's something weird about the *tags* in the
plugins repo and how this has been translated to git in the current git svn
close. Mojo did not have this problem.

Try this:

git clone https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins.git

Kristian