I checked the major issues in the Maven javadoc plugin JIRA but I couldn't
find one referring to multiple executions.

In any case I have attached a patch directly to MJAVADOC-400.

I did review the patch with an eye towards catching potential multiple
executions.  In addition I did not encounter the problem when testing out
the patch (either before or after applying it).

Thanks,
Ray