Hi,

On behalf of the Apache Maven team I'd like to ask for advice for changing the JavaxToolsCompiler[1] This implementation is used when java code is being compiled with Maven *by default*, so right now when pointing JAVA_HOME to the latest JDK9 version builds will fail. There are other ways to compile, e.g. use the fork-parameter[2] or with toolchains[3], but what I'd like to know is whether it is still possible/valid to use javax.tools.JavaCompiler and is so: how should we rewrite this code?

regards,
Robert Scholte

[1] https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-compiler/blob/master/plexus-compilers/plexus-compiler-javac/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/compiler/javac/JavaxToolsCompiler.java [2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html#fork
[3] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-toolchains.html