Am 2015-09-28 um 22:40 schrieb ivange larry:
Hi all

My name is Ivange Larry, am from Cameroon and new to maven community. I
have followed the instructions on getting started as a developer in the
Apache maven community and below are a few of the things i have done so far.

First of all greetings to Cameroon and great someone else wants to help. There are only a few of us.

I did a git clone on this url
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven.git, to get maven source
code. Please correct me if am wrong since i am new to open source, from the
url, it shows that maven source code is not hosted on github. Also i was
instructed that when fixing a bug for a jira ticket, i will have to create
a patche file. But since yesteday, the mails i have been receiving from the
mailing list shows that maven is actually hosted on github, which would
have been better if i just forked the repository, also i noticed that
developers contribute code by creating pull requests not patches. So my
questions are ...

1 - Is the code hosted here
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven.git, the same as the code
hosted on github with this url https://github.com/apache/maven.

2 - In order to contribute, can i just fork the repository on github and
submit pull requests instead of patches.

Basically, yes.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/ contains the canonical Git repos hosted by the ASF. Repos hosted on GitHub are read-only mirrors for convenience. Assume you have found an issue or would like to share an improvement: create a JIRA issue first. Clone from GitHub, make your changes. Name the commit by the "[JIRA-ID] desc" and push to a branch of your clone to GitHub. Create a PR. The rest is left to us. We will review and merge/reject. After a successful merge, we will target and close the JIRA issue.

If you provide constant contributions, you can be invited to be a Maven committer, just like me.

Michael