+1 to at least 1.7

However, since 1.7 is EOL, I do think it also makes sense to default
to 1.8, since it's the earliest version still getting public security
updates, and therefore it's reasonable that most people should be
using that version if possible. It's a trivial matter to configure the
plugin for an earlier version if the software needs to be built to
support a system that's not updated. These systems can (and probably
already are) using older versions of this plugin anyway, so changing
the default in newer versions isn't likely to affect them.

But, at the very least, 1.7 is a big +1, incremental improvement to the default.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii