Hi,

I think this can be solved without dirty hacks, but it requires some fixing in Maven Core.
When calling -rf you are missing the modules you get from -am.
Maven should add these modules *without* executing them. Now every MavenProject needs to have an artifact with a file, either pointing to the outputDirectory or to the packaged artifact. Based on this File other modules construct their classpath, which is all you need. I haven't validated this, but I think that a couple of plugins allow you to override ${project.build.outputDirectory} or ${project.build.finalName}. As long as we can use these values (and I think we should), we could have MavenProjects as if they were executed available in the reactor.

Robert

So the idea is to let you do things and resume quicker while doing things
that need the reactor artifacts when you don't want to invoke the full
lifecycle

e.g.

mvn package
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:take

mvn
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:restore
javadoc:jar
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:take

mvn
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:restore
source:jar
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:take

mvn
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:restore
install:install deploy:deploy

mvn
com.github.stephenc.maven:reactor-snapshot-maven-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:restore
site

Now this might ultimately need an extension helper so that things like -rf
will work better... but I wanted to try it out first.

The issue I have is persisting and looking up the artifact handlers... the
current way is hacky in the extreme and relies on the sisu injection
picking the same order (which may not always be valid due to the lifecycle
goals you might specify)

So, anyone care to tell me the "right" way to hack this!

-Stephen