My view is that the artifact checksums deployed have nothing to do with
security, but just a way for Maven to verify that the download was ok. It's
not verifying that it's the *correct* (valid) artifact that was downloaded.

The apache link you're refering to talks about release signatures, not
artifact checksum files. md5 or sha1 should be suifficient for artifact
checksums.

/Anders