The IDEs like Eclipse, IDEA etc must adapt to versionless parent.

@Christian
Execution of large projects and parent version depends on development team.
Nowadays they are going to be Microservices very small and isolated in
build time and runtime as well.
It really depends on the needs. For instance nowadays I can non-recursively
-N release a parent and a specific child -pl can be released separately and
release plugin will ask me what is the release version of parent.

If Maven had continuous build based on SCM information, I would not care if
I run the build from the root even if I want to build only changed child
somewhere deeply in the tree.
Actually this is the feature I am missing in Maven and installing Jenkins
for that, no developer would do.

But logically if such large structure will always be built from root
because of such coupling and because of all WAR file always will be
deployed to JBoss together at the same time because they have common
database model, then it makes perfect sense not to have intermediate Parent
sections because this is one big consistent structure and always will be.
And again if a developer wants to build a part of that then still can do
that in the same manner but continuous Maven core should ask SCM for
changes after last build time and build always only changed modules which
would be perfect, would not it be?