Am 12/26/16 um 21:07 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> Well a command line switch is useless imho.

+1

> Suppose I have a multi-module reactor and one module uses version A of
> plugin X and another module uses version B.
>
> Now A was built against Maven 3.3.3 and the classpath was "fixed" with
> tweaks and hacks to ensure the transitive dependencies worked out correctly
> (yes they should have filed a bug rather than work around, but life)
>
> B was built against Maven 3.4.0 and all the hacks were removed.
>
> How can we build that reactor with a command line switch? We cannot. The
> CLI switch would force with A or B to be wrong.

+1

Same for dependencies.

> We need something that works the way users expect *without* requiring that
> they change their poms

That'd be the best we can do.

> This is not something that the user should be able to control directly
> IMHO. Adding knobs to tweak the behaviour just complicates things for users.

+1

When deployed, no one knows what knobs had been in effect during
deployment. Bad idea. Information must be retained in the POMs.
Prerequisites to the rescue.

> We should look at the prerequisites of the plugin and give it the correct
> classpath for that Maven version (and eg this could include adding in Maven
> compat for anything pre-3.4.0, aether shims, sonatype shims, etc, mapping
> plexus utils etc)

+1

I just ran various tests against maven-pmd-plugin version 2.3. That
version can still be used with Maven 2.0 and that version is the first
version introducing an issue where a test artifact overrides a compile
artifact.

With Maven 2.0.11 and 2.2.1 the runtime classpath seems to be equal to
what 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT currently does (test scope dependencies not
available at runtime). This is from the Maven 2.2.1 debug messages:

 org.apache.maven:maven-artifact:jar:2.0:test (*not setting scope to:
compile; local scope test wins*)
org.apache.maven:maven-artifact:jar:2.0:test (*selected for test*)

MRESOLVER-8 seems to be a Maven 3 regression that went unnoticed. This
is something I would not have expected myself.