Am 12.01.2017 um 12:09 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 09:00:16 +0100, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Do we agree on the initial explanation about the plugin runtime
>> resolution hack?
>
> The first thing Maven does is create a BuildPlan. This means that the
> plugins being part of this run are initiated. This is also the reason why
> a maven-plugin cannot be used within the same multimodule project.
> Regarding the prerequisite value, it means that the code has been compiled
> and unit tested with these dependencies(!) and should work with at least
> this version. This is also the reason why we should be very,very careful
> with removing methods or changing signatures!
> The fact that a plugin requires 3.0.5 to be built doesn't mean it's
> prerequisite is also 3.0.5. It should be part of the vote to run plugins
> against the prerequisite version, i.e run as
> "/path/to/apache-maven-3.3.9/bin/mvn clean verify -Prun-its
> -Dinvoker.mavenHome=/path/to/apache-maven-3.0"
>
>> Do we agree on how to fix the hack?
> I would like to avoid the word "hack", because in the end the current
> behavior is the intended behavior (ensuring all runtime required
> dependencies are there no matter what).
> If I'm correct the idea is to try to make the plugin dependency resolution
> work the same way as project dependency resolution (and I'm not going to
> say which parts are wrong or right, that's another discussion)
> MNG-5739 is a requirement to be able to make the resolutions equal.

I think Stephen's point was something different. The artifacts exported
to plugins differ between various Maven versions. Stephen is suggesting
to use the prerequisites to make Maven allways provide the same set of
artifacts. So for a plugin with prerequisite 2.2.1 Maven should always
export the same set of artifacts Maven 2.2.1 would have done, and for a
plugin with prerequisite 3.0.0 Maven should always export the same set
of artifacts Maven 3.0.0 would have done, and so on. IF the
prerequisites are honoured by Maven core that way, different resolution
strategies COULD be provided as well.