Using the following command on a small test project:

mvn -Dmaven.repo.local=/tmp/aaa -Dmaven.repo.local=/tmp/zzz validate

and checking whether the “aaa” or “zzz” directory is created gives these
results for previous Maven releases:

2.0.11 aaa
2.2.1 aaa
3.0.5 aaa
3.1.1 aaa
3.2.5 aaa
3.3.9 aaa

whereas current master gives a different result:

master zzz

which confirms the precedence of CLI arguments is currently reversed on master
compared to previous releases

--
Cheers, Stuart