I would like to share my current pom configuration which lets me to
build and test java8 apps on latest and greatest jdk9

This profile is activated when using jdk9.

This is based on a suggestion of Robert, its suggestion for the
javadoc plugin is working great with surefire too

<profile>
            <id>jdk9</id>
            <activation>
                <jdk>[9,)</jdk>
            </activation>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <configuration>
                            <additionalparam>--add-modules
ALL-SYSTEM</additionalparam>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>2.20</version>
                        <configuration>
                            <argLine>--add-modules ALL-SYSTEM</argLine>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>