You know, I think it would be cool if there were file systems that would
implement a form of a 'link' as part of a content-based-storage mechanism
like Git itself.  Meaning if I ran the above git-clone/jar command twice in
two different directories it would only store the result once (assuming
idempotence).  Hard and soft links are not it because they need a canonical
version that the duplicates point to.  What you want is the thing stored
once, and regardless of the order of deletion, the last deletion means it
is truly gone.  The Mac's 'alias' feature is closer because it allows you
to at least move the original/canonical.

Kind of like String.intern(..) in Java.

People are, of course, pushing the file system science in the direction of
content-based (with dire/filenames a logical overlay).

https://dev.arvados.org/projects/arvados/wiki/Keep
https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-addressable_storage

- paul