Github user jdillon commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/116

    Igor's change is the more correct/ideal change to avoid future mismatch
between plexus-annotation configuration and JSR-330 annotations.  The problem
is that plexus @Requirement injects directly to the field, but JSR-330 uses
@Inject on the ctor, and the ctor impl ignores one of the parameters and
doesn't fully setup the object properly.  Its generally bad to have a mix of
these annotations, as the lifecycle between plexus and jsr-330 is slightly
different, but if you do mix them, you have to ensure that both means wire up
the object correctly.

    My change simply fixes the bug, so that the versionRangeResolver component,
which is required for the DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader impl to function
properly actually gets set.

    My recommendation is you merge this change as its very simple and easy to
comprehend (or at least I thought) and then consider merging Igor's change as
this is more ideal for the future of the library.

---
with INFRA.
---