original idea, let's try to evaluate :)

IMHO this could work for packaging plugins in default lifecycle, that are
defined in default-bindings.xml, but would not for other lifecycles that are
configured in components.xml (without copy/pasting content not related to
plugins)

I don't think an extension would be easier to use than a pom.xml, it's even
IMHO worse since you have to create a new file in a new directory.

one question is: is there a use case that an extension would permit that a
parent pom would not?
the only case I see is if a user does not want to change his parent pom (or
cannot): since we don't have "pluginManagement import" (like we have for
dependency management).

I think for the moment that a parent pom would be more classical, easier to
explain: I don't really see a clear benefit to do the job as an extension
instead, this would IMHO make the change harder for users

Regards,

Hervé