Thanks to everybody who answered. However, I'm utterly confused.

The references to the examples
(https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/tree/master/dependencies
and
https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/tree/master/maven-resolver-demos/maven-resolver-demo-snippets/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/resolver/examples)
effectively all use org.eclipse.aether (e.g.
https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/blob/master/maven-resolver-demos/maven-resolver-demo-snippets/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/resolver/examples/ResolveArtifact.java
doesn't use a single class from org.apache.maven.*).

It somehow makes me wonder what the point of the org.apache.maven.* API
is. I was under the impression that it is "the way to go" when you want
to make use of an existing, maven-project-supported library for working
with maven repositories and artifacts. But now I'm left with the
impression that nobody really uses it and I shouldn't care about it and
rather use org.eclipse.aether. Is this correct?

 - Michael