This seems like it would benefit a lot of projects (at least it would ours).

How would this work in coordination with IDE's? m2e has (afaict, but
haven't looked closely) its own lifecycle management to bridge eclipse and
maven. AFIAK only Netbeans uses maven directly?

If you want to benchmark a public big repo, you can use Wicket Stuff Core (
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core). It has 237 modules, and the build
takes quite a while to compile and package. The project levels are not
deep, but there's some nesting.

Martijn