I'm hearing a lot of subtly different descriptions of what different
developers and subprojects use the term "milestone" for.

It's certainly reasonable to have a major version bump in the plugin
and drop support for Maven 2.0. The goal that the plugin major version
should match the Maven major version does seem to be causing some
mishegas though.

Even more problematic is the hope to finish everything on the wish
list for a plugin before declaring a 3.0.0 release. That can leave
users without a clearly supported, stable plugin for years. More
incremental releases that provide additional features and bug fixes
that are ready now would be very helpful. The JDK itself and the
Eclipse project are two big examples of projects that have stopped
pushing mega-do-everything releases in favor of more predictable,
time-based release cycles. I was skeptical when they announced the
change, but it seems to be working well. The Maven project might want
to consider whether something similar could work for us.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org