Hi,

I have a different opionion about End Of Life ...

at moment we are only testing our plugins with Maven 3.2.5 as lowest
version... we had the same dicussion more than a year before[1].

I see it simply as that:

We don't test all our plugins against versions like:

3.0.5, 3.1.1

This implies those plugins versions are not active being tested via our
CI...

The lowest version which we are currently testing is 3.2.5 see [2] and [3]

Apart from that:

The implication saying we define EoL for version X does not mean we will
backport some issues to other versions....maybe we decide to do that
based on Security issue etc. (the only reason I can imagine to do that)..

Furthermore the part you have suggest to support 3.6.X line with patches
for a time has never been done for earlier versions as well. We alway
work on most recent version..as you already mention we recommend in all
tickets to upgrade first...that strategy should being kept..

From my point of view we should lift a new baseline to Maven 3.3.9 as
lowest version...any other version should be define as End Of Life...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9e0d47814e84b75ac87bc88c84c1c029fe4b63beed46c82dab1121b9%40%3Cdev.maven.apache.org%3E