Changing group IDs of existing projects is a very bad idea. Not only
does this break too many projects to count that are in production
today. It also introduces diamond dependencies and weird classpath
issues into projects because the same classes can now be pulled in
from multiple artifact jars. In Java 9+ compiles the breakage would
early. immediate, and complete though still hard to debug and work
around. In Java 8-, the breakage could be subtle and unnoticed. See
https://jlbp.dev/JLBP-6.html for more details.

There are efforts underway to improve the provenance and vouching of
open source artifacts to avoid issues like the ones that affected NPM:
https://www.csoonline.com/article/3324599/hacker-adds-malicious-bitcoin-stealing-code-to-popular-javascript-library.html

However in many ways Maven is already ahead of the curve here, and
much better than it was 15 years ago. I'm not sure enforcing group IDs
as domain names, even if we could do that, would materially improve
our security posture.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:28 PM Jonathan Valliere
<jon.valli...@emoten.com> wrote:

> Is there any kind of planned timeline to force compliance against old
> projects?
>
> For example:
>
>    - Force compliance
>    - Provide symlinks for backwards compatibility for a limited period of
>    time (1 year)
>    - Update Maven clients to provide warnings for symlinks during
>    builds/tests/etc
>

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:23 PM Manfred Moser <manf...@simpligility.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is a left over from bad choices made decades ago. Now Maven Central
> > has well documented criteria ... very contrary to nearly all other binary
> > repos..
> >

> > https://central.sonatype.org/pages/ossrh-guide.html
> >
> > https://central.sonatype.org/pages/requirements.html#correct-coordinates
> >
> > And the videos linked on the site in which I explain more as well.
> >
> > Manfred
> >

> > Jonathan Valliere wrote on 2020-02-13 17:06 (GMT -08:00):
> >
> > > I have been growing concerned about the process of allowing the creation
> > of
> > > GroupIDs, within the Maven Central repository, which do not adhere to the
> > > naming guidelines. i.e. the GroupID must belong to a unique domain name
> > > controlled by the project owner.
> > >
> > > Even within the Apache family, there is no consistent naming enforcement.
> > > The project I belong to, org.apache.mina adheres to the conventions but
> > > many others do not.  Apache Commons for example uses a different GroupID
> > > for almost every sub-project within its scope.  Many of them simply
> > > starting with the word "commons" instead of "org.apache.commons".  Does
> > the
> > > PMC have any ideas on how to combat this?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Jon

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org