Seems to me that fixes are never back-ported, meaning only the latest
version of Maven is really supported. That being said, care also seems to
be taken to not make changes in plugins which break older versions of
Maven. I think you ask an important question, because trying to keep
plugins working on older versions of Maven possibly means not being able to
solve things in a way one would like to. Older versions limit choices. So
that is a cost. I don't know how many users there who insist on keeping an
older version of Maven itself but want the latest plugins..I wouldn't mind
personally if the Maven project more aggressively lifted the floor if that
means better implementations due to more freedom.

- Eric L