thank you Matthieu

on splitting buildinfo generation and check, everybody starts with this logic
when thinking, even me. Then during implementation, I discovered that in
reality we don't check against a downloaded reference buildinfo file, but we
check against a reference buildinfo that we build from downloaded reference
binaries that we list by looking at what was built.
I could work to extract the last call [1] to a separate mojo, with an abstract
mojo to share code, particulary the "artifacts" map calculated on line 175
"Map<Artifact, String> artifacts = generateBuildinfo( mono );"
But this would complexify both mojo code and user's work to call it (same
number of -D properties, but this time 2 goals to add to command line).

And seriously, I don't see any use case where checking will be done without
calculating buildinfo in the same run.

To me, splitting goals is a false good idea that we all have from our past
experience on other cases: real usage of this goal makes one single goal much
more efficient.

Of course, if you can show a good use case, we can do the extra effort (and
explain users why their current single goal usage is better with 2 goals
typing).
And of course, please provide a goal name that will make this CLI usage
accessible: I want to keep user experience as good as possible, Reproducible
Builds is hard enough per-se.

On goal documentation, please propose enhancements as much as possible: I
already put so much time in documenting as clearly as possible, finding
shortest descriptions as possible to be easy to read. Finding a good simple
description is not so easy, I need help, please

Regards,

Hervé

[1]
https://github.com/apache/maven-artifact-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/artifact/buildinfo/BuildinfoMojo.java#L206