It would indeed be per module, so it's not a 100% backwards compatible
workaround.
Then again, as Robert Scholte suggested in the original discussion [1],
does it make sense to just build an aggregator pom without its children?

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6981?focusedCommentId=17192672&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17192672