Ralph,

Once you move test code to their own Maven module they become a top level
module, that is, they have a life of their own as any other top level module.

In contrast -tests jars are not top level, but a “variant” (that’s why they
have a classifier) of their owning top level module.

Test jars must be published to a repository in order to be consumed, just like
any other jar, variant or not. The only difference (at least that I can see) is
that test jars may be downloaded using the coordinates of the owning module
(plus test classifier) and their release cycle is tightly coupled with their
owning module.

But if you take away the owning relationship you’re left with, well, just
another regular Maven module.

Personally I prefer the use of explicit dependencies and modules, barely make
use of test jar support, but I do recognize others feel differently about them
and prefer the workflow enables by such jars and conventions

Cheers
Andres

Sent from my primitive tricorder