Hi folks,

I was recently working on MNG-7075 and while the solution is straight forward [1], it just feels awkward. For a long time I had the idea that the mvnDebug script can be completely collapsed into mvn with a single switch. Therefore, I have created a draft PR [2] which works in the Windows command prompt and the Bourne shell. It completely obsoletes MNG-7075, mvnDebug and a nice bonus: When mvnDebug is run, output still refers to 'mvn', e.g., 'mvn -r <args>' this is inconsistent until now, but will be consistent in the future. mvnDebug would remain as-is, but would emit a warning that it is deprecated. mvnDebug is used ony by Maven developers like us and of course extension/plugin devs. The majory are just users which don't care.

Note: I am not happy with -dj, but wasn't able to come up with something better for the moment. I would prefer --debug to be renamed to --verbose and --debug to be recycled as Java debug mode, but that is likely impossible, I guess.

WDYT?

Michael

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/515
[2] https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/517