Hi all,

A while ago I encountered a bug [1] in Maven 4 which I'm testing at work. I
took quite some time into debugging the issue, but I am at a dead end
currently.
The issue should describe the problem enough, but in short I understand it
as the following:
1. Multi module project with two submodules A and B.
2. "A" defines a plugin, which is an extension and which registers a new
lifecycle. This lifecycle uses the ${project.version} variable.
3. During the model "B" validation (DefaultModelValidator), the
lifecycle of "A" is suddenly validated as well, and trips on the
${project.version} usage.

Important to note is that this problem is introduced in a commit from April
2nd 2020 [2]. This commit "just" converted maven-core from Plexus DI to
Guice DI.
In earlier Maven versions, the custom lifecycle is not injected during the
model validation of B, but that happens at a later moment.

Does anyone understand why such a change could occur when changing from
Plexus DI to Guice DI?
Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
Martin