we have most plugins that are simple with only 1 mono-module build
This makes documentation easy in /plugins/maven-*-plugin/:
see https://maven.apache.org/components/plugins/ for full list

we have a few components that have a plugin as part of a larger multi-module
build, like surefire, jxr, archetype, scm, plugin-tools, enforcer, release, and
soon wrapper

And from experience, it makes documentation harder because there is always the
question of what to write in the plugin pages and what to write in other
modules. Not talking of navigation from /plugins/maven-xxx-plugin to /xxx/
maven-xxx-plugin (we have a trick for redirecting...)

In caching case, I see that there is only one submodule, that is done for ITs
with Surefire: is it necessary? isn't maven-invoker-plugin usable, like for
plugins?

Regards,

Hervé