having worked on this for the whole WE, please review my last comment in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPLUGIN-384 and associated PR

in short: given Maven classloading, Sonatype plugin cannot be fixed by our
breaking move done in our own plugin in MPLUGIN-377 : in up to us to restore
compatibility, which seems feasible without reverting MPLUGIN-377