Hi,

New Resolver 1.8.x which is included in Maven 3.9.x has many valuable
features, like split local repository.
There are many configuration options for Resolver [1]

Currently all those options can be set by
 - user properties by command line - not usable
 - system properties provided by globally by MAVEN_OPTS or per project in
.mvn/jvm.config

It will be very useful if we can add such properties to settings.xml in
order to support global configuration per system.
In many case settings.xml is managed externally like on CI systems, so it
is easy to add new properties.

Now when we want to use new properties globally we need to manage a new
item - MAVEN_OPTS, in this case it can contain long text, not human
readable.

=====

Evaluating properties from settings.xml is done
somewhere  later after RepositorySystemSession is created ...

Before DefaultRepositorySystemSessionFactory#newRepositorySession -
SettingsXmlConfigurationProcessor#process is executed but properties are
not processed from active profiles ....
What do you think to populate properties from active profiles here ...
to CliRequest - System/UserProperties or to cliRequest.getRequest() -
System/UserProperties

=====

Any other ideas to easily manage configuration for Resolver.

[1] https://maven.apache.org/resolver/configuration.html

--
SÅ‚awomir Jaranowski