Hi everyone,

as discussed in Slack, here are a few ideas for Maven 4.0 Plugin
default's changes.
Rationale: Convention over configuration, but things have diverged
from when Maven 3 was started.

* Set the default Java Source file encoding to UTF-8.
This seems to receive a broad agreement. Not only is UTF-8 default on
most platforms nowadays (UTF-16 on Windows), it also aligns with Java
18+, most user configurations and getting rid of the annoying warning
"is platform dependent". Plus, it is 100% compatible with ASCII and
mostly compatible with other encodings.

* Setting the default javadoc-plugin verbosity to quiet via "quiet=true". [1]
This was the default before Java 1.4.2 anyway, and it will only make
the list of generated html sites disappear.

* Setting failOnMissingWebXml to "false" by default. Romain suggested
this was planned for the next major release, but I was not able to
find an issue about this.

There seems to have been some jira tickets about this, all set to
resolved+fixed, but I cannot see the actual implementation which made
it into the plugin. [2], [3]. Setting the default to "false" based on
the existence of annotations or a dependency might still be a valid
idea, but this got vastly more complicated, no question. So just
setting it to "false" might do it, but it will break builds which do
not use annotations. There are good reasons for this, e.g. using a
particular startup order for listeners.

That said, I am not sure about the last one unless we can identify
*for sure* there are *some* kind servlets/listeners etc. present in
the .war file. My -0.5 on this one unless someone can come up with a
neat solution.

So, what do you think? Are there more sane defaults we should set for
Maven 4.0?

- Ben

[1]:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/test-jar-mojo.html#quiet