On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 5:02 PM Aldrin Leal <ald...@leal.eng.br> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just a question I'd like to confirm with you guys: How "safe" is to run
> `dependency:tree` on a given arbitrary pom?

All that should do is load various XML files from possibly remote
servers and parse them, so it's about as safe as doing that. It
shouldn't trigger the running of any code not already in the maven
dependency plugin and its dependencies. And that is all Java. If you
could find a way to trigger bad behavior by feeding an arbitrary byte
stream into the XML parser in the JDK or the maven-dependency-plugin
and its dependencies, then there could be an issue. I'd guess that it
might be possible to crash or hang Maven by sending sufficiently ugly
malformed XML down the pipe. I'd be surprised if you could get as far
as executing arbitrary code. That would probably require finding a
serious JDK bug. It's possible there is such a bug waiting to be
discovered, but I don't know of any.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org