Maybe let's stabilize XML and ensure we can make it evolving properly in
time before supporting any other format which will impact negatively the
ecosystem IMHO since a lot of descriptor parsers are not org.apache.maven
(which is a very good thing IMHO, means we have a portable enough format to
be adopted).
Once we will tackle that support question I think the main point is which
formats do we want to maintain (support is not a big deal, maintaining is).
While I can envision xml and maybe json are no drama, any other one will
probably end as polyglot, kind of abandonned they restarted then
re-abandonned so from my window I don't see it as great for the community
("good bad idea" we sometimes say).

Romain Manni-Bucau