The sonatype nexus staging plugin at this point seems abandoned. Last
relevant commit/release was 17 months (!) ago, they killed the bug tracker
and removed all references to JIRA from the code.

The plugin does not work well in multi-module scenarios where the last
module does not commit an artifact and sonatype is not responsive at all to
bug reports (they actively closed out any means of communication outside
their commercial offerings). I am not surprised that it has issues with
4.0.0 maven and I would not consider that maven issue but a plugin problem.

-h