On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 at 18:24, Slawomir Jaranowski
<s.jaranow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> pt., 29 gru 2023 o 18:40 Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> napisał(a):
>
> > Am 2023-12-29 um 14:42 schrieb Slawomir Jaranowski:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Last year we mark all Maven versions 3.6.x and older as EOL [1]
> > >
> > > But we still try to support minimal API version for Core Maven Plugins as
> > > 3.2.5
> > >
> > > I would like to  propose to sich it for at least to 3.6.3
> > >
> > > Reasonable reasons: (for me)
> > >   - for standard CI build we use Maven 3.6.3 and newer
> > >   - many of external plugins, like MojoHaus are switched to 3.6.3
> > >   - we have a hacks in code to try support old version in plugin, like
> > > in: EnhancedPluginDescriptorBuilder in plugin-tools [2], we can cleanup
> > > such code
> > > - I don't believe to someone want to do more fixes for EOL Maven version
> > in
> > > plugins - so we should be a honest for users
> > > - and we should go forward
> > >
> > > [1] https://maven.apache.org/docs/history.html
> > > [2]
> > >
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-plugin-tools/blob/master/maven-plugin-report-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/plugin/descriptor/EnhancedPluginDescriptorBuilder.java
> > >

> > I remember that we had a discussion that the next base/API version
> > should be 3.5.4 because it is the first version using
> > org.apache.maven.resolver:maven-resolver-api [1]. Please don't confuse
> > API compat with maintenance/support for a specific Maven version. I
> > believe that we have made this clear more than once.
> >
> > Is thre anything specific fixed in 3.6.3 behavior you consider crucial
> > which makes maintenance easier than with 3.5.4?
> >

> I remember the discussion ... and next year we are still on 3.2.5
>
> I can not a list what was exactly improved in 3.6.3 against to 3.5.4, but I
> see in mentioned code
>
>  // clear() is required for maven < 3.6.2
>  mojoDescriptor.getParameters().clear();
>
> So my question is:
>
> Why should we use 3.5.4 instead of 3.6.4 as minimum in plugins?

Especially as we do not maintain anymore core 3.5.4 neither 3.6,4 see
https://maven.apache.org/docs/history.html
we could simply align with core versions we still marked as
maintained, and that would make our lives easier.
this doesn't mean we have to migrate everything, but at least this
could  be a rule